Sunday, June 26, 2011

Jesus.Others.You.

I have been sitting here looking at this empty space to write an update for probably fifteen minutes. So I apologize in advance if this post is all over the place. I literally can't differentiate the days!
I will try my best to give you guys a taste of what happened this week, but I can't promise it will be very detailed...
This week we were encouraged to use a different way of initiating conversation with individuals on the boardwalk. On Thursday I had discipleship, so my discipler and I hit the beach and we decided to start up a conversation with six young ladies. These girls had already taken the survey, so we asked them if they were interested in taking a picture survey called Soularium and they agreed. This started a nearly two hour conversation. These lovely girls had just graduated high school so they had so many questions about life and their future. Most of them had some sort of spiritual background and were really questioning the Lord's plans for their life and his presence in general. It was just really great to have the opportunity to pour into these young ladies and encourage them. Later this week I went out with Jane, a great girl from Northwestern, and we used Soularium and had such a positive experience. Everyone we asked had already taken the survey but still agreed to do Soularium and enjoyed this form of the survey so much more. Plus, it was so much easier to switch over to the gospel. You're probably wondering what Soularium is so let me give you a brief description. It is five questions just like our other survey, but we give the individuals about 50 pictures to help them answer the questions. It really engages the individuals and their answers are much more thought out because they have share why they chose each particular picture.
This week during our Bible study with our action group we talked about sin. Sin obviously creates a division between us and the Lord, but what I fail to realize is that confessing our sin can and will only grow our relationship with God. "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9 I also fail to realize that sin does not change your relationship with God, BUT it does hurt your fellowship with him. That night led us right into Bob Fuhs' message for Thursday night. He emphasized that when we accept Jesus into our hearts that all God sees is Jesus in us. So when we sin, we stand before the God NOT guilty. The word "conviction" simply means information. Information we can use to confess our sin and repent. We were challenged to use this week as a time to confess and just be open and vulnerable with our roommates, action group, and other friends on project.
"When you sin, God doesn't want your commitment, He wants your confession."
Last night we took the opportunity to finish up "Killing the Giants" week by doing an outreach on the Atlantic City boardwalk. Atlantic City is very different from Ocean City. I truly felt like I was in a different country but I was only thirty minutes away from OC. Sharing was pretty rough for most people, but I walked away feeling as if sharing in Ocean City was a piece of cake. After coming back from Atlantic City, we all met up at Ocean City Baptist Church to find out the final number of spiritual conversations we had this week.
BBBBBDDDDDDD....
(my version of a drumroll)
We had a total of 5,862 spiritual conversation and 213 of those individuals accepted Christ as their Savior! This was the first year that the goal was met before going to Atlantic City. :) We exceeded our goal by about 730 conversations. We proceeded to defeat our giant, it was pretty epic.
Today we celebrated by having a little beach party. Who knew a week of intense evangelizing would leave us exhausted mentally, physically, and emotionally. We are now entering into "All for One" week and apparently staff is our opponent...this should be interesting. I shall inform you all of what this exactly means a little later because I am still a little unsure...
My beautiful action group ladies.
Transportation in Atlantic City.
Ending result...
Boom.
If you don't already know, I have a tattoo and it says jesus.others.you and I truly feel like I'm starting to realize what that kind of lifestyle looks like. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment