Sunday, June 12, 2011

"How refreshing to know you don't need me, how amazing to find that you want me..."

We're wrapping up "Setting the Pace" and about to jump into "Thirsting to Know HIM", but before we do that, I need to update you all on this week!
At our weekly Thursday night meeting Bob Fuhs talked about how many Christians are missing out on what the Heavenly Father has provided for us. He mentioned something that I think I fail to remember on a daily basis:
We were never made to live the Christian life on our own.
I often believe that the Christian life is not easy and that I have to learn to work through my issues on my own, which is definitely a lie from the devil. Yes, living for the Lord is difficult but when I cave under trials it proves my lack of reliance on the Lord. Bob described two types of Christians, those who have confidence but no humility (have much pride, but forget about justice, mercy, and faithfulness) and those who have humility but no confidence (don't lose their faith, but lose their fire). I definitely fall into the latter. I know I am saved by the blood of Jesus and I believe his Word is truth, but I don't allow myself to find joy in the Lord. I over-analyze every aspect of my faith and start to believe it's not genuine. I can never rest in knowing I have the Holy Spirit dwelling within me. This summer I am going to strive to develop a new relationship with the Holy Spirit.
After that amazing meeting that provided me with a time of reflection and evaluation, a group of us went to the beach because a thunderstorm was rolling in. It was the most beautiful storm I have ever witnessed. Most people know that I hate the rain, let me emphasize that a little more...I absolutely hate the rain. I cannot say I hated the rain on Thursday night though. We watched the lightning over the ocean and danced in the rain (by rain, I mean complete down pour where our clothes were soaking wet in a matter of seconds) on the boardwalk until a nice policeman told us that was probably not a good idea, so we got on our way and ran home. I posted a little clip of the storm so hopefully you all got to see that, it was spectacular.
What else has happened...ohh! The quarter students have arrived!! Our OCSP 2011 family is complete. Saturday night we had our first project outreach and a few of the quarters students witnessed individuals on the boardwalk come to Christ during their first time sharing on project. Totally awesome! Anyway, we set out on the boardwalk in pairs ready for some spiritual conversations. The Lord was at work that night. I went sharing with a lovely lady, Alison Peine (from Minnesota) and we had a pretty rough start. We got turned down a total of twelve times. The more and more we got rejected, the more we felt discouraged. We continued to pray while walking up and down the boardwalk and during that time we were able to witness dozen of spiritual conversations happening with kids from project and people on the boardwalk. I cannot explain the happiness that gave me, my heart was smiling seeing people opening up to the idea of knowing Jesus. When Alison and I had reach the end of the boardwalk we took a shot and asked a few kids if they would be willing to talk to us. We sat down with them, initially thinking we were only going to talk to three people but it turned into seven. Although we didn't get to the point of sharing the gospel with these soon-to-be freshmen in college, the Holy Spirit was definitely present in our conversation. Two or three of the students were laughing at us the entire time, but the others were completely interested and their wheels were turning. As hard as it was to have people blatantly laugh at us, we persevered and Alison and I walked away feeling so positive. I have so much hope that the Lord will plant other Christians in those young people's lives and they will come to know the truth. One of the girls that was laughing had so many misconceptions about who Jesus is and I pray one day those get straightened out. I know that college has been such a good experience for not only me but many others to find their identity in Christ. Those student's are already receptive to talking about Jesus so I hope it becomes the desire of the heart to know the him personally.
Well, I'm off to get adopted. :) Don't worry, family...it's only for the summer! Members of the Ocean City Baptist Church are adopting Crusaders so we're having a dinner tonight at the church to meet our families!
Please be praying for this week, "Thirsting to Know HIM". I feel like this is an area I have been struggling a lot with this past year, so I am hoping to have an open heart. I will be stretched, that's for sure! What did I expect though? I feel like that's what this summer is all about.

Just a few pictures of the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment