Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Post-Project!


Hello blogging world; it’s been a while! I was so jazzed when Amber asked me to “guest blog” while she is on her mission’s trip to Haiti. I thoroughly enjoyed my time blogging this past summer while I was on an eleven-week mission’s trip in Ocean City, New Jersey. I found it to be the perfect way to share about my experiences and process through all that was going on. I am now going to take this opportunity to share with you all about what the Lord has been doing in my life post-project.
Before I really dive into it, I want to give a little background as to what Ocean City Summer Project is. It is an eleven to twelve week mission’s trip where roughly 100 students from all over the nation are taught how to share their faith/the gospel (in every day life) and the importance behind it. Ocean City Summer Project has been around since 1965 and is actually the first project CRU (formerly known as Campus Crusade for Christ) ever offered. Now there are a plethora of projects all over the nation, there are even international projects. Ocean City Summer Project is a life-changing summer – immense growth occurs and a deep love for our Savior is imbedded in the hearts of the 100+ students attending.
My experience was just that: life-changing. I entered project coming off a semester that had been so destructive to my life and my relationship with the Lord. Throughout the summer, he transformed me and provided me with a genuine passion to serve him. When I think about the most positive time in my life thus far, I think about project. I was surrounded by 100 other students who spurred me on in my faith and provided me with the best community I could have ever wished for.
I returned to Chico and found I was no longer living in a “Christian bubble”. I immediately started struggling with past sin. I had to let go of my worldly desires and keep in mind that the person I was before project was a person I never wanted to be again. I am much more aware of the Lord’s presence in my life and how faithful he is (Psalm 40:1-2). One of the greatest truths I learned this summer is that EVERYONE is called to be sent, by sent I mean reach all nations (Matthew 28:18-20). Whether you are being called to help send or to physically be sent, all are getting “the call”.
This summer I felt the Lord tugging me to help send others to pursue international missions. I began financially and prayerfully supporting acquaintances, my discipler, friends, and just recently my sister. I have felt great joy in assisting others get to where the Lord has called them. I have always been open the idea of being sent international, but haven’t felt the Lord draw me in that direction. Part way through this semester I attended a summer project meeting, mainly to support those who have never been on one and encourage them to consider it…little did I know, the Lord had something in store for me too. This upcoming summer, Chico CRU is partnering with the Dominican Republic and sending a team from May 25-June 30 to share the gospel with approximately 160,000 students. The directors of Chico CRU are heading the project and the team will be made up of members from CRU and the Latino branch of CRU, Destino.
It was a surprise to me when I was sitting in the room, hearing information about the D. R. project, and feeling as if I should apply. Since then, I have prayed about it and continued to feel it lay heavy on my heart. On December 10 I submitted my application and will hear by January 28 whether or not I’ll be spending five weeks in the Dominican Republic this summer. It is exciting, but extremely nerve-racking. I never imagined I embark on an international mission’s trip…not soon anyway! But as the director of Ocean City Summer Project said, “Risk it all to follow the call.” Thank you so much for reading about my heart change for international missions! It has been so fun being able to share it with you all. I pray that you are answering the Lord’s call for your life, whether it be to help send or to be sent.
Don’t forget…please, continue to pray for Miss Amber’s journey! It is awesome to know others are supporting her and are tuned into what she is doing to serve Christ! She is such a lovely woman of God and an example to me and many others. I am just so blessed to have her in my life!
OCSP 2011.
Love you, Ambs!

No comments:

Post a Comment